Rock Star mac and cheese bites
- 40 Mins
- 4 People
Coated in golden breadcrumbs, these mini mac and cheese bites are a surefire hit for parties or weekend nights at home – especially when dipped into our Spiced Tomato & Vodka Chutney.
- Cook the pasta until al dente, remove and drain. Useful tip: rinse the pasta under boiling water to avoid pasta sticking together.
- Combine the flour, butter and mustard to make a paste.
- Bring cream to a gentle simmer. Gradually add the paste and crushed garlic, stirring continuously on a simmering heat until the flour has cooked through (taste to check).
- Add grated Rock Star cheese and pasta and season to taste.
- Transfer to a baking tray and cool in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
- Divide into balls, push a cube of Rock Star cheese into each then form into neat balls, making sure cheese is well encased.
- Dust each ball in flour, then egg, then roll gently in breadcrumbs. Roll each ball back into egg and dip again in breadcrumbs.
- Deep-fry until golden and cooked through. Do this a few at a time, draining them on kitchen roll and keeping them warm until all the bites are cooked. Serve immediately (it’s delicious with Snowdonia Cheese Spiced Tomato & Vodka Chutney).
Note: You can make these with leftover mac and cheese, if you happen to have some to hand. They can also be shallow-fried rather than deep-fried. Cook them over a medium heat and turn them frequently, basting with the oil.
Love these mini mac and cheese bites but want to go big? Our indulgent Truffle Trove mac and cheese is a rich and creamy main course that celebrates the earthy, nutty flavours of our extra mature Cheddar with Black Summer truffles.