Cheese-topped fish pie
- 35 Mins
- 6 People
Black Bomber, our signature extra mature Cheddar, is the crowning glory on this recipe. Featuring a creamy filling with white fish, salmon and smoked haddock, it works just as well as a family supper as it does as a make-ahead main course for a dinner party. Serve it with fresh green vegetables, lightly steamed.
For the filling:
1. Place the fish fillets in a large wide baking dish and pour over one third of the milk. Dot with 25g of butter and add the bay leaf. Season with sea salt and pepper.
2. Bake at 180 or Gas 5 for 15-20 minutes, or until the fish is cooked.
3. Drain the cooking liquid from the fish, remove the bay leaf and place the fish into a bowl. Gently flake the fish into pieces and set aside.
4. Melt the remaining butter in a nonstick pan over a medium heat and stir in the flour to form a smooth paste. Start to gradually add milk stirring constantly to ensure no lumps form (using a nonstick whisk will help get a smooth sauce).
5. Once all milk is incorporated, stir constantly until the sauce reaches boiling point. Turn down the heat and simmer for 2-3 minutes to cook the sauce through.
6. Remove from the heat then season to taste.
7. Pour the sauce over the fish. Stir in the lemon juice and baby spinach before gently mixing it all together and placing it in a large, deep pie dish.
For the topping:
1. Boil the potatoes in salted water for approximately 15 minutes until they are tender but not falling apart. Drain well and return to the saucepan.
2. Add butter, grated nutmeg and cream, then mash until there are no lumps.
3. Add 90g Black Bomber and mix in thoroughly.
4. To finish pie, spoon the mashed potato over the fish, ensuring the fish is fully covered.
5. Sprinkle the pie with the remaining cheese and bake for 25-30 minutes at 200C (gas 7) until heated through and golden brown on top.
6. Sprinkle the pie with the chopped parsley and serve immediately with steamed green vegetables.