Rock Star Welsh rarebit
- 15 Mins
- 2 People
This has to be the ultimate Welsh rarebit recipe: Rock Star, our vintage cave-aged Cheddar, lends it a distinctively rich flavour with sweet caramel notes. It’s the perfect easy-but-indulgent lunchtime treat!
- Preheat the grill until medium hot.
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan, add the flour and mix well to make a roux. Cook gently then whisk in the ale until the sauce is smooth.
- Remove from heat and add the mustard, Worcestershire sauce and seasoning.
- Add the cheese, reserving 2 heaped tablespoons for topping, and beat until it has melted and sauce is bubbling.
- Place the toast on a grill rack or baking sheet and spoon the cheese mixture over each slice, ensuring they are evenly covered. Sprinkle over the remaining cheese and place under a hot grill until golden and bubbling.
- Serve with your favourite chutney and a glass of ale.
Inspired by this decadent cheese-on-toast idea? In our online shop , we’ve got a whole host of cheeses and complementary chutneys to liven up your lunch hour. And if this recipe took your fancy, you may also enjoy our Black Bomber, avocado and chicken toasted sandwich.