A classic hit made irresistible by using Snowdonia Black Bomber extra mature cheddar cheese, making a very tasty and delicious family supper.
Preparation time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 25 mins
350g (2 cups) macaroni or short pasta
50g (1/3 cup) butter
50g (1/3 cup) plain/all purpose flour
500ml (2 cups) milk
1-2 tsps mustard – any type
150g 1 heaped cup Snowdonia Black Bomber, grated
8 slices streaky bacon
1 pkt cherry tomatoes on the vine
• In a large pan of boiling water cook the pasta according to pack directions.
• Meanwhile melt the butter in a small pan, add the flour, stir and cook gently for 1 minute. Gradually add the milk stirring until you have a smooth thickened sauce, add the mustard and half of the grated cheese, season to taste.
• Grill the bacon and tomatoes on the vine until crispy and cooked, cut the bacon into pieces and keep warm.
• Check the pasta is cooked and drain, reserving some of the liquid.
• Mix the pasta and sauce together, adding some of the reserved liquid if a little too thick.
• Place in a heatproof dish, sprinkle over the remaining cheese and place under a hot grill until golden and bubbling.
• Serve immediately topped with the crispy bacon and tomatoes