Black Bomber cheese scones
- 45 Mins
You’ll come back to this easy cheese scone recipe time and time again. Our rich and creamy Black Bomber extra mature Cheddar gives them a delicious depth of flavour, further elevated by a pinch of smoked paprika. Serve them warm with lashings of butter and a spoonful of Rhubarb & Gin Chutney for a savoury twist on afternoon tea.
- Heat the oven to 200C.
- Sift the flour and paprika into a large mixing bowl.
- Rub the butter into the flour until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Stir in 75g of the grated Black Bomber, reserving 25g.
- Gradually add in the egg and milk mixture and mix until you have a soft dough (a little more milk can be added if the dough is dry).
- Lightly flour a work surface and turn out the dough. Gently knead it together and pat down until approximately 2cm thick. Cut into rounds using a 5-6cm metal cutter.
- Place scones on a lightly greased baking tray and brush the tops lightly with milk, then sprinkle the remaining 25g grated cheese on top of the scones.
- Bake for approximately 15 minutes until risen and golden brown.
- Place on a wire rack to cool and serve immediately with butter and Rhubarb & Gin Chutney.
Top these scones with slices of your favourite Snowdonia cheese – or make them with Rock Star cave-aged Cheddar or even our smoked Beechwood in the mix. Black Bomber devotees will also enjoy making (and eating!) these delicious savoury cheese straws.