Serves 4-6 | Ready in 2 hours
450g/1lb plain flour, plus extra for dusting
½ tsp salt
120g/4½oz unsalted butter, plus extra for greasing
1 free-range egg yolk
50g/2oz Black Bomber cheese finely grated
120ml/4fl oz water
1 free-range egg, beaten, for glazing
200g Lovers potato, peeled and diced
6 Roscoff onions, finely sliced
50g unsalted butter
2 sprigs thyme
1 tbsp cornflour
75ml whole milk
100ml double cream
300g Black Bomber cheese, grated
1 tsp Dijon mustard
Sea salt and freshly ground white pepper
• Combine flour, salt, butter and egg yolk in a processor until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Add grated Black Bomber and combine.
• Add water and mix. Roll dough and wrap in cling film. Chill for 30 minutes.
• Boil potato pieces for 10-15 minutes until soft. Drain well and steam dry.
• Fry sliced onions in butter and thyme until soft. Add 150ml stout and reduce until the liquid has gone and then remove the thyme. Season filling.
• Preheat oven to 180°c and grease tin with butter.
• Roll out two thirds of the pastry before placing over the tin, lining the base and sides.
• Blind bake in the oven for 10-15 minutes, until the pastry is golden-brown. Once cool, add the pie filling.
• Roll remaining third of pastry. Brush the rim of the cooked pastry case with egg and place pastry lid on top. Trim off excess pastry and crimp the edges with thumb and forefinger. Make two small holes in the centre of the pastry lid.
•Brush pastry lid with remaining egg & oven bake for 25-30 minutes until golden-brown.